Skip to Content Top

Signs of bad wiring in your home

Lightbulb with bad wiring

The More You Know, the Safer Your Home

Electrical wiring is the silent workhorse of our homes, often overlooked but crucial to its functioning. It's easy to forget about it, tucked away behind the walls until something goes wrong. Recognizing the signs of bad wiring is crucial for the smooth operation of your everyday appliances and your safety.

Keep reading to learn more about:

  • Frequent circuit breaker tripping
  • Flickering, dimming, or pulsing lights
  • Burning smells or scorch marks
  • Outlets and switches that are warm to the touch

Frequent Circuit Breaker Tripping

One of the most common symptoms of bad wiring in a home is frequent circuit breaker tripping. Circuit breakers are designed to protect your home by cutting off electricity when they detect an overload or short circuit. If your circuit breaker trips occasionally, it could be a normal event caused by a temporary overload. However, if it's tripping frequently, this could indicate an underlying issue with your wiring, such as an overburdened circuit or faulty wires.

What Should You Do?

If your circuit breaker trips frequently, the safest and most recommended course of action is to contact a professional electrician. While it might be tempting to try and diagnose or fix the problem yourself, electrical issues are best left to trained professionals. An electrician can accurately identify the source of the problem, whether it's a damaged wire, a bad breaker, or an overloaded circuit, and they have the knowledge and tools to safely repair the issue.

Flickering, Dimming, or Pulsing Lights

Another telltale sign of underlying wiring issues is when your lights begin to flicker, dim, or pulse irregularly. These symptoms often indicate that your electrical system is struggling to provide a steady supply of power. This could be due to various reasons, including loose or damaged wiring, an overloaded circuit, or even a problem with the light fixture itself.

What Should You Do?

If you notice that your lights are flickering, dimming, or pulsing often, it's crucial not to ignore these warning signs. Start by checking the light bulb; make sure it's screwed in correctly and is not nearing the end of its lifespan. If the problem persists, it's time to contact a professional electrician.

Burning Smells or Scorch Marks

The presence of a burning smell or scorch marks around your outlets is a serious indication of bad wiring. These signs often suggest that the wiring within your walls is overheating, leading to melting insulation and, in some cases, sparking electrical fires.

Scorch marks are usually the result of sparks that escape from the outlet and come in contact with the wall surface. On the other hand, the burning smell is typically caused by overheating wires or an electrical component nearing its failure point.

What Should You Do?

If you notice a burning smell or see scorch marks around your outlets, it's imperative to act immediately. Do not attempt to investigate or fix the problem yourself, as this could pose a significant safety risk. Instead, contact a professional electrician as soon as possible.

Remember, it's always better to err on the side of caution when it comes to electrical safety in your home.

Outlets and Switches that are Warm to the Touch

If you've noticed that your outlets or switches are warm or even hot to the touch, this could be a sign of faulty wiring. An outlet or switch should never be warm, let alone hot. This can indicate a variety of issues, including an overloaded circuit, a loose connection, or outdated wiring. Overheating outlets or switches pose a serious fire risk, as the heat can ignite nearby flammable materials, such as wall insulation.

What Should You Do?

If you encounter an outlet or switch that is warm, don't brush it off as a minor issue. Start by unplugging any devices from the outlet and stop using the switch, then wait for it to cool down. Do not try to handle any electrical repairs yourself, as this can be extremely dangerous. Contact a licensed electrician immediately.

They will be able to perform an inspection to determine the cause of the overheating and take the necessary action to resolve it safely and effectively. This could involve something as simple as securing a loose connection or as extensive as rewiring a circuit. Their expertise will ensure the safety of your home's electrical system.

Call Reliable Home Comfort

Identifying signs of bad wiring in your home is crucial for the safety and well-being of your household. If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, taking immediate action is recommended. Our licensed electricians are standing by to assess and repair the wiring to prevent potential electrical hazards.

At Reliable Home Comfort, we understand the importance of a safe and efficient electrical system. Reach out to us today to schedule an inspection and ensure your home's electrical safety.

Share To:
  • $299/YEAR


    • Priority Scheduling
    • 1 Complimentary Washable Filter
    • Includes 2 Maintenances Per Year
    • Additional Maintenance $99/Visit
    • 2-Hour Arrival Window
    • $45 Diagnostic Fee
    • 15% Repair Discount
  • $25.97/MONTH
    • Additional Maintenance $99/visit
    • 2-Hour Arrival Window
    • $45 Diagnostic Fee
    • 15% Repair Discount
    • 1 Complimentary Disposable Filter / Clean Washable Filter
    • Includes ONE FREE Maintenance After 6 Months

  • MAINTENANCE INCLUDES: $199 Regular Price / / $99 Member Price


    • Air Conditioner: 22 Point Inspection
    • Heat Pump: 22 Point Inspection
    • Mini Split: 40 Point Inspection
    • Gas Furnace: 21 Point Inspection
    • Package Unit: 16 Point Inspection
    • Extended Warranty